An entrepreneur’s primary role is to sell. At any given point the entrepreneur is selling whether it is
- Selling himself on why he is pursuing this idea.
- Selling his employees on why they should join or stay at this venture
- Selling his friends and family on supporting him in his new (and often crazy) endeavour
- Selling his customers to try out the new product or service he has developed (and to pay for it)
- Selling his business as an investment opportunity to potential investors
- Selling mentors on why their valuable time will be well invested in him
- Selling to investors to continue supporting his business
The list of selling activities can go on for pages… and I still would not have even scratched the surface of the number of selling activities that an entrepreneur is actively involved in. Therefore if there a skill that an entrepreneur should learn is the skill to sell.
I have found that the following 6 books made the maximum impact on my sales, investment and entrepreneurial careers as well as the careers of people whom I have mentored and helped to grow in their respective sales and entrepreneurial roles.
Ideally, you should read these books in chronological order since the level of complexity increases as you progress down the list.
- The Greatest Salesman in the World by Og Mandino
- How to Sell Anything to Anybody by Joe Girard
- The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz
- How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie
- How I Raised Myself from Failure to Success in Selling by Frank Bettger
- Unlimited Power by Tony Robbins
Have any books helped YOU shape your entrepreneurial career? I would love to know so do share them in the comment section!